In this second part of our conversation David, John, and I continue to discuss the role of complexity science in the study of intelligence, brains, and minds. We also get into functionalism and multiple realizability, dynamical systems explanations, the role of time in thinking, and more. Be sure to listen to the first part, which lays the foundation for what we discuss in this episode.
- David’s page at the Santa Fe Institute.
- John’s BLAM lab website.
- Follow SFI on twitter: @sfiscience.
- BLAM on Twitter: @blamlab
- Related Krakauer stuff:
- At the limits of thought. An Aeon article by David
- Complex Time: Cognitive Regime Shift II – When/Why/How the Brain Breaks. A video conversation with both John and David.
- Complexity Podcast.
- Books mentioned:
- Worlds Hidden in Plain Sight: The Evolving Idea of Complexity at the Santa Fe Institute, ed. David Krakauer.
- Understanding Scientific Understanding by Henk de Regt.
- The Idea of the Brain by Matthew Cobb.
- New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future by James Bridle.
- The River of Consciousness by Oliver Sacks.