David, John, and I discuss the role of complexity science in the study of intelligence. In this first part, we talk about complexity itself, its role in neuroscience, emergence and levels of explanation, understanding, epistemology and ontology, and really quite a bit more.
- David’s page at the Santa Fe Institute.
- John’s BLAM lab website.
- Follow SFI on twitter: @sfiscience.
- BLAM on Twitter: @blamlab
- Related Krakauer stuff:
- At the limits of thought. An Aeon article by David
- Complex Time: Cognitive Regime Shift II – When/Why/How the Brain Breaks. A video conversation with both John and David.
- Complexity Podcast.
- Books mentioned:
- Worlds Hidden in Plain Sight: The Evolving Idea of Complexity at the Santa Fe Institute, ed. David Krakauer.
- Understanding Scientific Understanding by Henk de Regt.
- The Idea of the Brain by Matthew Cobb.
- New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future by James Bridle.
- The River of Consciousness by Oliver Sacks.