Support the Podcast
David and I talk about his work to understand how sound waves floating in the air get transformed into meaningful concepts in your mind. He studies speech processing and production, language, music, and everything in between, approaching his work with steadfast principles to help frame what it means to understand something scientifically. We discuss many of the hurdles to understanding how our brains work and making real progress in science, plus a ton more.
- Visit David’s lab website at NYU.
- He’s also a director at Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics.
- Follow him on twitter: @davidpoeppel.
- For a related episode (philosophically), you might re-visit my discussion with John Krakauer.
- Some of the papers we discuss or mention (lots more on his website):
- A good talk:
- NLP Transformer model: